#BLOGMAS DAY 7
For Day 7 of the Blogmas series, I’m doing something I haven’t covered in a while… Skincare!
My last skincare routine post was way back in September 2014 (read it here) and July 2014 (read it here) and they’ve considerably changed – both of these posts were written when I was still pregnant with Zayden, so check out those posts if you’re interested in pregnancy skincare!
My skin has had its ups and downs in 2015, but the worst acne rampage just happened about two or three months ago. I had cystic acne in places where I usually never had acne before, like my cheeks and forehead, because I usually just get hormonal acne around my jaw area. So this is definitely new territory for me, and it really put my skincare products into test!
My skin has incredibly cleared up now, and I have all these products to thank.
Take a peek into my skincare routine and My Skincare Heroes.
- Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Cleanser:
What? Face wash containing 2% glycolic acid that gently exfoliates and retextures the skin, but also contains olive oil to make sure the active ingredients don’t dry out the skin. AHA helps shed dead skin cells on the surface of the skin, helping promote a brighter tone and lightens pigmentation.
When? I use this every other day or when my skin needs an extra boost because I prefer using something gentler and more basic when my skin is normal/problem-free, like the Fresh Soy Face Cleanser, which is my absolute favorite basic cleanser!
How? I use this after taking my makeup off, and I love using this on its own or with a Clarisonic or FOREO device.
Who? Great for all skin types! If you have sensitive skin, maybe only use this once every few days like I do.
Results: Less congested pores (i.e. smoother texture) and overall brightness of the skin. Skin also breaks out less.
(Product not included in photos because I ran out!)
- Dermalogica Breakout Control:
What? Fast-absorbing spot treatment gel that contains natural antibacterial ingredients that help clear and prevent breakouts without over-drying the skin. Click here for more information on the ingredients.
When? Every day, morning and night.
How? Use after cleansing and applying serums, but before moisturizer. Can also be applied on top of makeup for reapplication during the day.
Who? Anyone who has active breakouts, or feels like an acne is about to be formed.
Results: I had several cystic acne that were very sore to the touch, but after using this the soreness subsided the next day, and the acne itself flattened and calmed within the next 3 days. That’s incredibly fast for painful, huge cystic acne!
(Product not included in photos because I left it in my purse! I love reapplying this during the day so it’s always in my purse.)
- Sunday Riley Good Genes (also featured here):
What? All-in-one lactic acid brightening, multitasking, radiance treatment and mask.
When? Every other day, nighttime only.
How? Apply after cleansing, before moisturizer. Can also be used as a mask that is removed after 5-10 minutes for those of you with extra sensitive skin who can’t wear this overnight.
Who? All skin types, but people with sensitive skin better do a patch test first because the active ingredients are pretty strong.
Results: Helps acne marks/hyperpigmentation fade faster, pores are more refined, and I always seem to wake up with brighter skin. It also gets rid of congestions and smooths out bumpiness on the skin.
Alternative: On days when I’m not using this, I’ll use the Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil instead, which is more moisturizing. All my skepticism about the hype around these products subsided when I see my acne marks/hyperpigmentation fade so much faster and my skin’s texture incredibly smoothed out. I used struggle with congested pores (lots of tiny little flesh colored bumps all over the T-Zone!) and these totally knocked ’em all out! (also with the help of the Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Cleanser.
- Clinique Smart Custom Repair Serum:
What? A serum that claims to visibly erases wrinkles, evens skintone, lifts, and brightens for skin that looks firm, fresh, and alive with youth.
When? Can be applied twice a day but I only apply this everyday in the mornings. The serum has a soft, almost powder-like finish so it makes anything that goes on top of it so smooth!
How? Apply 1-2 pumps liberally all over the face – sandwiched between cleansing and moisturizing.
Results: Smoother skin, brighter complexion, and it surprisingly also helps dark spots/hyperpigmentation fade! I’ve been using for over a year, even before I started using the Sunday Riley Good Genes, and those two combined really help dark spots disappear faster!
- Go-To Skincare Face Hero (also featured here):
What? Uh, simply the best face oil out there. For realsies. Features 10 potent plant and nut oils and it’s so lightweight yet so moisturizing. Leaves zero residue and penetrates deeply and quickly to hydrate, revive, brighten and insure your face against fine lines, dark spots, dryness and ageing inflammation.
When? Day and night, everyday, however often you’d like!
How? When I use this in the morning, I mix it with my foundation! At night I mix this in with my favorite moisturizer, the Philosophy Renewed Hope In A Jar Dry (reviewed here).
Who? Everyone, even those with oily skin (maybe just use a tiny bit because a tiny amount goes a loong way).
Results: Less breakouts and flakiness because the skin is properly hydrated and moisturized. Foundation glides on so much smoother and looks much better too!
- Biore Aqua Rich Watery Gel SPF50 PA+++ (featured here):
What? Water resistant sunscreen that is so watery in consistency and lightweight that it feels like literally nothing is on your skin.
When? In the mornings before or after moisturizer. Doesn’t matter coz it’s so lightweight!
Well, that’s it! Woohoo! I still have a lot more skincare favorites, but I narrowed it down to just the main baes this time (#sorrynotsorry had to write that. LOL). These are all of the products that I currently cannot live without.
However, I do want to give a quick and special shoutout to the following products for being incredible, totally optional, add-ons to my skincare routine. I’ve actually repurchased these multiple times, so they’re obviously my holy grails too:
- La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo (featured here and here): All-in-one spot/congestion treatment and lightweight moisturizer. I use this in the morning as my daytime moisturizer when my skin is rather problematic. Such a reliable and effective all-in-one product! Love slapping this on when I’m in a rush and don’t have time to apply serums, spot treatments and moisturizer.
- Chantecaille Vital Essence (featured here): A perfect lightweight add-on essence for chronically dry skin. This is my winter staple! Also works incredibly well as an eye treatment. I usually sandwich this between serum and moisturizer.
- Dermalogica Multi-Active Toner: This spray toner is so easy to apply (just spray and go!), and contains antiseptic properties (great for acne treatment/prevention!) and humectants that locks moisture onto the skin, aiding the absorption of other products that are applied on the skin thereafter (YAY FOR HYDRATION!).
- Medik8 CE-Tetra (featured here): A completely safe, gentle, highly stable and potent derivative of Vitamin C in lightweight oil form that protects the skin from free radicals, alleviates skin inflammation (including sunburn) and also increases resistance to capillary damage (thus great for redness-prone skin!). My skin loves this! It has a soft, powder-like finish once applied.
- By Terry Crème de Rose Nutri-Lift Comfort Cream (featured here): A total splurge, but I love it too much, I can’t let it go. Sadly, this product has been discontinued (AND I AM SO ANGRY AND CONFUSED AND DISAPPOINTED RIGHT NOW) but I hope they’ll come out with an even better alternative! I rarely use this just because it’s so freaking expensive and it’s discontinued, but when I do use it, I feel like I’m in heaven. It’s soooo soft, my skin feels like a baby’s butt, yet it’s so moisturizing. Oh and it smells like roses. By Terry, you better come out with an alternative soon! I’m almost out of mine!
What are your Skincare Heroes? Do share them in the comments below!
You must be logged in to post a comment.